Hi Guys, welcome to The Wednesday Hodgepodge! If you would like to join us, click the button below to visit Joyce and link up. And while you are there, wish Joyce a very Happy Birthday Week!!!!!
1. I’m celebrating a birthday this week so a question relating to aging feels appropriate. Douglas MacArthur is quoted as saying, ‘You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair." Would you agree? If not why not?
That is not my favorite quote. Sorry Doug. I think he was trying to be profound. I don’t even want to think about it anymore.
2. What remarkable feat, interesting piece of trivia, or historical event occurred on your birth day and month? Not necessarily in your birthyear, just the same date/same month.
Apparently, ] On September 18, 1793, first President George Washington, along with eight other Freemasons dressed in masonic regalia, laid the cornerstone of the Capital Building, which was made by silversmith Caleb Bentley.
Look at that Joyce, we have such a historical birth date!!
3. Describe a time or circumstance where you wanted to ‘have your cake and eat it too.‘
I am always reminded of this idiom when I am weighing the decision to eat something I should not. I want to try and control my weight, but I also don’t want to miss out on something yummy. I want it both ways! I literally want to have and eat my cake, without gaining an ounce!!!
4. What’s something you do that makes you feel young? Something that makes you feel old?
It makes me feel young to sing along to songs from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I don’t know how I can store all those words in my brain, especially when I can’t even remember what we had for dinner 2 nights ago.
I feel old when I can hardly get out of bed after doing something strenuous, like yardwork!! What is going to become of me when I am in my 60s??!!
5. When did you last do something that was ‘a piece of cake’?
I had to go to the Secretary of State yesterday to renew my drivers license. I guess it was time for a new picture, otherwise I am not sure why I couldn’t renew by mail like I always do. Anyway, I had been dreading going because the line at the Secretary of State can be a beast of a thing. On my way over I was lamenting that I had forgotten to bring a book. When I pulled into the parking lot it was so empty I thought they might have been closed. I went inside, NO LINE! It was my lucky day!!!!! In and out in less than 5 minutes! And I think my picture turned out pretty decent! Piece of cake!
6. Beef, wine, and cheese all improve with age. What’s something else you’d add to that list? (not necessarily food or beverage)
I think faith improves with age. I had the privilege of growing up in a Christian home and was taken to church regularly. I had an intellectual understanding of God, faith and salvation, but I had no practical experience. The Lord has spent the last 30 years growing and refining that faith. As I have learned through my years in BSF, head knowledge is good, but you have to download it into your heart. I can be a walking encyclopedia of knowledge and information, but if I don’t apply it to my life, I haven’t learned much. Application is key, and that takes time.
7. If I were to have a giveaway when we hit Volume 200, what should I give away? By my calculations we’ll hit Volume 200 on November 26th, the day before Thanksgiving, which means whoever wins would have whatever it is in time for Christmas.
I am fairly certain you have some thoughts on your handy dandy list already! I have no ideas, I will wait to be surprised!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I bought FIVE Christmas presents yesterday! Stocking type things, but HEY! I feel so accomplished, so early!!!!!